As I write this Hurricane Florence is predicted to hit the Carolina’s, and evacuation plans are already in place. We truly hope that everyone in its path remains safe.
Hurricanes rarely impact those of us in the Hudson Valley, but remember Hurricane Irene and all the damage that arrived with her? When the winds and rains hit, they leave behind destruction that the average homeowner never expected and many people find that their insurance does not cover some pretty major expenses.
We want our fellow Hudson Valley residents to be prepared, everyone from Westchester to Albany should know what their insurance will and will not cover in the event of a hurricane.
- Flooding. Flooding by rivers, ponds, and lakes are only covered if you have already purchased a separate flood policy.
- Tree removal. You must purchase a separate endorsement to cover this.
- Back up of sewer and drains. This is not standard on every homeowners policy, but many independent insurance agents will make sure they add it on. Double check your policy or contact your agent for details.
- Mold removal. Mold removal is complicated, it is usually covered by insurance but your agent needs to discuss the hows, whens, and whys.
- Flooding. This is covered by the Comprehensive part of your Comp and Collision coverage. If you are carrying the New York State minimum amount of insurance coverage, then all costs to fix this will be out of pocket.
- Damage to your car by falling trees. This is also covered by the Comprehensive portion of your Comp and Collision coverage. Everyone else will have to pay their repair bills out of pocket.
Many insurance companies will not allow you to add extra coverage to your existing policy if there is a storm predicted to hit the area. The best time to purchase additional insurance coverage is before the event is predicted, not afterward.
The time to ensure that your home and car is properly insured is right now, not the day before the hurricane is supposed to hit, we can help with that. Call Hudson Valley Agents today for fast, friendly, affordable insurance coverage that actually covers what you need covered.