Does your homeowners insurance cover flooding?

Almost every county in the Hudson Valley is under a flood watch.  The forecast is calling for some pretty significant rainfall tomorrow with high winds and the possibility of thunderstorms.  Our rivers and streams are all higher with snowfall run-off and recent rainfall.  All of this adds up to flooded streets, flooded yards, and flooded basements, so we thought you might want to know what your homeowners policy covers and what it does not.

  • If your basement floods due to rainfall your homeowners policy will be of no help to you.  Flood insurance must be purchased separately from the National Flood Insurance Program.  Yes, you can come to our office to purchase a policy, but there are rules about how and when it can be purchased so please contact us if you have any questions, 845-778-2141.
  • If your car is damaged due to flooding you will be covered if you carry comprehensive coverage.  This is usually sold along with collision (aka comp and collision) as an addition to NYS required basic liability.  You’ll have to pay your deductible out of pocket.

If you have any questions regarding your current homeowners policy with Hudson Valley Agents, please contact Ashley in our Walden office.  If you have questions about your current homeowners policy and would like a free quote just click (, call (845-778-2141) or stop by (99 West Main St, Walden NY), our brick & mortar hours are Monday thru Friday 9 – 5.  Stay dry Hudson Valley!  #insurelocal  #HudsonValleyAgents  #homeownersinsurance  #HudsonValleyAgents  #WaldenNY  #HudsonValley  #FloodInsurance