Today’s blog comes to you from our office band geek, Philip Bender-Tymon (pictured above).
Blow that horn, baby (but insure it first)!
I had the good fortune to grow up in a musically talented family. I also attended a great Midwestern high school that had a fantastic music program where I played various instruments in concert band, swing band, orchestra, and marching band.
Playing music as part of a group taught me many lessons about teamwork, discipline, and respect. And not just respect for my fellow musicians – but for the instruments.
I also learned – the hard way – that those instruments can be extremely expensive to repair or replace. My parents once wrote a pretty hefty check to repair a crumpled tuba bell following a marching band misadventure.
Today, it can cost $400-500 just to repair a school-grade brass instrument – double or triple that for professional quality brass horns. And when it comes to stringed instruments – violins, cellos, etc. – it can cost thousands of dollars to replace one.
That’s why it can pay to have insurance for them, especially if that’s how you make your living. Transporting and shipping your beloved instrument multiplies the risk.
Basic musical instrument insurance or endorsements can cost as little as $150 a year (without shipping coverage). A small price to pay for peace of mind.
Contact Hudson Valley Agents to find out more. (845)-778-2141
And play on!!
#bandgeek #insurelocal #musicalinstrumentinsurance #waldenNY #HudsonValley
Do you need patent insurance?
For people who design or invent new things, patenting your idea is a form of insurance. Once you’ve patented your ‘intellectual property’ (IP), you now have a set of standardized legal protections in place should anyone try to steal or copy it.
But what most folks don’t know is that defending yourself against a claim of patent infringement – or taking legal action against someone who has infringed upon or stolen your IP – can be very, very expensive.
In the years since the patenting system was first created, the types and number of patents registered each year have exploded. In 2016, the United States Patent and Trademark Office estimated that there were more than nine million unexpired patents. That’s a LOT of IP to keep track of.
A relatively recent development in the patenting world is the ‘patent troll’. A patent troll is a person or company who acquires patents and attempts to enforce their patent rights through aggressive legal tactics including frivolous litigation and harassment. Patent trolls can cost companies and individuals untold amounts in legal fees.
Accordingly, there are two basic types of patent infringement insurance:
- Patent infringement liability insurance helps protect manufacturers, users, and sellers of IP who are accused of infringing a patent holder’s rights (like by a patent troll). Defense coverage is provided and might include additional profits and royalties to be turned over to the patent holder.
- Patent enforcement litigation Insurance covers the owner of a patent against infringement by another person. It includes the cost of legal defense to enforce the patent. The policy includes a co-payment provision, usually 25%. Excluded are the liability for compensatory or consequential damages, fines, punitive damages, exemplary damages, and multiple damages.
So, if you have a patent, you should at least have patent enforcement insurance. And if you don’t have patents on your product line, you should carry patent infringement insurance,
The cost of patent insurance varies greatly – from a few hundred dollars a year to many thousands – depending on the amounts and types of coverage, among other variables having to do with the IP itself.
For further information, contact David or Philip at Hudson Valley Agents 845-778-2141
#insurelocal #patentinsurance #protectyourintellectualproperty
Every Monday morning our social media feeds are filled with #MondayMotivation images to inspire us to do our best and achieve our goals.
But do these images truly have the power to provoke a positive response? Could posting one of these #MotivationMonday quotes to your social media feed actually work to excite our drive to perform?
Yes. The artwork on a motivational poster might be enough to brighten up the office and that makes people happy. There is the added bonus of reading an inspirational message when you feel bogged down to boost your flagging spirits.
No. Everyone is motivated differently so one post will not change the world. People will always eventually stop reading the motivational posters that routinely hang on office walls. Not because the message is not positive, but because it has become part of the background of daily life at the office.
We can’t “insure” that this blog will spark your creativity or increase your workday happiness levels, but we can insure your home, car, small business, and more!
Happy Monday Hudson Valley
#insurelocal #HudsonValley #independentinsuranceagent
Today we are talking about financial planning for your small business and the role that insurance should play in that plan.
If you own your own business, you already know how important it is to protect what you have worked so hard to build. Insurance is asset protection and too many owners overlook these key policies:
- Loss of business income coverage. This enables you to cover payroll and pay your bills if your business is unable to operate as usual.
- Employee benefits coverage. Coverage and benefits that help you hire and retain employees.
- Key Person Insurance. Is there one person who is so key to your business that without them the entire business would crash and burn? If you answered yes, then you need this coverage.
- Life insurance. This is a must for family-owned businesses. It can take the stress and financial strain off of grieving family members and ensures that the business can continue to function.
- Cybersecurity. Protect yourself and your clients from hackers and data breaches.
David, Philip, and Kathy are experts in ensuring that Hudson Valley small businesses have the tools they need to protect their livelyhood.
We are Hudson Valley Agents. A full-service independent insurance agency that believes in keeping things local.
#insurelocal #BOP #HudsonValley
Hobbies run the gamut from cheap and easy (reading) to wildly expensive (building stock cars), and then there’s everything in-between. Did you know that there are scrapbook tools that cost more than $400? We didn’t.
Think of it this way, if you have invested more than $500 in your hobby you should speak to your insurance agent about how to properly protect your hard work and financial output. If your hobby’s costs are less than $500 you should still add those higher ticket items to your home inventory. January is an excellent time to update your current home inventory list, don’t forget to add all your new electronics too!
Almost every hobby requires some amount of financial output, and if your hobby creates something of worth (such as jewelry making), then your investment is increased. Ensuring that your investment has proper insurance coverage is where we come in. Insurance coverage that actually covers your belongings is a reality. Visit our website, pick up the phone, or just stop in for more information.
#insurelocal #hobbyinsurance #independentinsuranceagent #homeownersinsurance #hudsonvalley
December is a busy month for insurance agents and here are the top 3 types of phone calls we’ve been receiving:
1- Help! I hit a deer!- Everyone in the Hudson Valley has had to make this phone call at least once since they first got behind the wheel.
2- Help! My pipes have frozen and burst!- Your homeowners insurance will cover the repairs to your walls and floors, but not to the pipes themselves.
3- Do I need extra insurance coverage for…. – Did you ask Santa for a new car? What about a drone? Some of your holiday gifts need specific insurance coverage (drones), and some (like high-end electronics or jewelry) need a low cost insurance rider in order to ensure coverage.
Don’t allow holiday mishaps to turn you into a Grinch, make sure your insurance is ready for all of your holiday fun! Our insurance experts are here to help you make the season bright. Call 845-778-2141 for more information & great insurance rates today!
#holidayinsurance #carinsurance #jewelryinsurance #insurelocal #independentinsuranceagent
When someone mentions the holidays there are things that always come to mind, shopping, wrapping paper, decorations, carols, but no one ever thinks about their insurance agent!
Here are 3 very good reasons to love your insurance agent this holiday season:
1- Sewer Backup. Did Aunt Marge pour all of the turkey grease down the kitchen sink? Did Uncle George clog your toilet again this year? If your insurance agent made sure you purchased Sewage & Drain coverage, then you are covered!
2- Stolen holiday gifts. So, you spent the day shopping for the holidays, after a few grueling hours spent fighting the crowds you make a quick stop at the grocery store for eggnog, and you come back to the car you find that all of your newly purchased gifts have been stolen! Now what? If you have a homeowners or renters policy you have nothing to worry about. No renters or homeowners policy? Contact your credit card company.
3- EVERYTHING ELSE. If Santa Claus gets stuck in your chimney, you are covered by homeowners insurance. If the Grinch breaks in and steals all of your gifts and your roast beast, covered by homeowners insurance. If Rudolf and his cohorts fall through your roof during a hard landing, covered by homeowners insurance.
A good insurance agent will make sure that your insurance fits your budget.
A really good insurance agent will make sure that your insurance fits your coverage needs and your budget as well.
If you have questions about your current insurance coverage, or you are in the market for lower insurance rates, please give us a call. David, Kathy, Ashley, and Philip are ready to put their insurance knowledge to work for you.
#holidayinsurance #insurelocal #hudsonvalleyagents
Thanksgiving is a mere 14 days away and Christmas is 32 days away. Is your homeowners insurance ready for the influx of relatives, the cooking, the gift shopping, the parties, the decorations, as well as the normal chaos that comes with day to day life?
Thanksgiving is the start of a holiday cycle that does not end until January 2, and ensuring that your family fun is fully covered can make recovering from any holiday disaster quick and painless.
Follow these tips for a safe holiday season:
- Never, ever leave the stove unattended while cooking.
- Never, never, ever put a frozen or wet turkey into a turkey fryer.
- Use extra precaution when driving, especially the day before Thanksgiving.
- Have the phone number for a cab company ready or install the Lyft app on your phone, this makes it easier for tipsy guests to get home safely.
- Use caution around candles or invest in LED candles.
- Always sand or salt driveways and walkways during inclement weather.
Here are a few of the things we wish insurance covered during the holiday season:
- Overcooked turkey
- Undercooked pie crust
- Holiday traffic
- That one Uncle that insists on drinking a fourth glass of wine and discussing politics.
- Being exiled to “the kids table”
We hope that your holiday season begins and ends with a smile. Be safe, enjoy yourself, and make sure you have the best insurance coverage for your life and everything in it.
#holidayinsurance #insurelocal #hudsonvalleyinsurance
Tomorrow night is Halloween, tonight is Hell Night (or Devil’s Night, or Cabbage Night (?)) and if you are a homeowner you should be taking a closer look at your insurance coverage.
- Will your auto insurance pay to repaint your car after it was egged? (Hint- Only if you have Comprehensive coverage)
- If you decide to answer “Trick” instead of “Treat” & you find yourself with smashed pumpkin soaking your home and discoloring the siding, will your insurance cover the repair? (Hint- Probably, but check with your agent)
There are things that Hudson Valley homeowners should always do to protect themselves & trick or treaters:
- Make sure all walkways are free of debris and obstacles and are well lit.
- Use LED candles instead of real candles
- Bring in your outdoor decorations before going to bed, if you can.
- Park your car(s), bicycles, ATV, lawn mower, or skateboards in the garage and close/lock the garage door.
- NEVER answer “Trick” when costumed people say “Trick or Treat”.
- Be extra aware of pedestrians tonight and tomorrow night. Dark costumes, ill fitting masks, and excited kids, can make your evening commute treacherous.
Insurance claims skyrocket during the end of October. Mischief night and Halloween are 2 of the biggest nights for damage to personal property and theft. Ensuring that your insurance coverage can stand up to everything your neighborhood ghouls can throw at it is the key to a good night’s sleep on All Hallow’s Eve.
Happy Halloween Hudson Valley, stay safe! Have you seen our latest Halloween video? #HudsonValley #insurelocal #Halloweensafetytips #homeownersinsurance #autoinsurance
October in Walden means colorful mums, pumpkins, scarecrows, and zombies……
#zombieinsurance #hudsonvalleyagents #insurelocal #waldenny #hudsonvalley