Thanksgiving is right around the corner and we just had to share Philip’s recipe for his famous Bourbon Cranberry Relish! We “insure” that this will be the star of your holiday table, and it tastes even better when you make it with locally distilled bourbon!
P Bender-Tymon’s Ulster County Famous Bourbon Cranberry Relish
- 2 Cups whole cranberries, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup sugar (Philip prefers his on the tart side)
- 1/4 Cup local bourbon (Adirondack Blended Straight Bourbon works well)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick or Vanilla Bean (we prefer the cinnamon stick but they’re both quite tasty)
- 1/4 Cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons of orange zest
Combine all ingredients (except cinnamon stick) in a non-reactive saucepan and over medium/high heat until it is just about to boil. When the sugar is just starting to melt, add the cinnamon stick and reduce the heat to medium/low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to reduce and thicken. When you are happy with the consistency, take off of the heat and let cool. Refrigerate for one hour before serving. *** If using a vanilla bean, split and scrape the bean and add to the mixture with all of the other ingredients. ***
Thank you, Philip, for sharing one of your Thanksgiving recipes, we look forward to serving it to our own friends and family!